All the latest news from the industry weekly compiled by the editorial team for you free of charge.
This eMail is already registered.
An unexpected error occured.
Please accept our Terms of Use.
Registration successful.

Patrick Wang, President, Lien Chieh Machinery

Image: LCM

Metal Forming “Building energy-efficient presses”

Jul 19, 2017

Patrick Wang, President, Lien Chieh Machinery, in this interview with Suchi Adhikari, discusses how the hydraulic press manufacturing technology has transformed over the years and touches upon the new upcoming markets that will embrace this change. Excerpts…

What are the main focus areas of your company?

Lien Chieh Machinery specialises in developing hydraulic presses and related technological innovations. In the early days, the company manufactured basic hydraulic equipment, for example, table lifters for plywood, and later turned its direction to exploring hot forming technology. Today, the specification of LCM’s hydraulic presses have extended its emphasis and transformed the traditional metal forming techniques for higher level performances, especially in hydroforming and deep drawing. The involvement of LCM’s presses in modern industries are widespread and the company has been supplying to the sectors including automotive, energy, electronics, home appliances, construction, composite materials, military, green transportation and top industrial labs for major breakthroughs.

What is your company’s strategy in filling the gaps between users’ stricter production standards and the performances of press facility?

Our company has an experience on different phases of changes across this industry. In short, the identity of hydraulic press manufacturers keeps transforming – from the early days of high labour reliance, large energy consumption and relatively higher environmental cost to a revolutionised industry today.

Currently, we concentrate on building energy-efficient, automated and eco-friendly presses. We also emphasise on strong global outlook, which is sufficient to satisfy different customer structures based on LCM’s mechanical engineering adaptability. Our company’s international service centres are set up across continents. Further, from 2017 onwards, we aim to have the sales and services in the Asian region, including Russia, India, Japan and Southeast Asia, which will be LCM’s latest prospect markets for introducing servo mechanical tandem lines.

We estimate that the next market for drastic automotive growth outside China is situated in South-East Asia – over 70% of their customers are automotive manufacturers, while electronics and plywood industries share the remaining 20-30% customers. Our resourceful service centres help in responding to customers instantly, regardless of distance or time differences.

Your company has recently celebrated its 70th anniversary. Can you highlight its latest developments?

The highlight for LCM this year is its latest release—servo mechanical tandem line (2400-1000 tonne). We are the first to develop this line on the island, and the production line is designed in accordance to meet the most advanced technology facilitated for the press industry. The production line enables producers to enjoy high-speed generated from mechanical presses and energy-efficiency from servo-hydraulic presses.

In addition, the reason for equipping the production line with servo systems is that it helps producers in simulating productions under different circumstances, which fundamentally benefits the users who need diversifying modular systems for cross industrial productions. Under operational tests, the servo mechanical tandem line can increase the SPM from 18-20 to 30-40 times, thanks to its highly automated system. It, therefore, raises productivity radically. In achieving greater efficiency, versatility and precision, LCM’s production line broadens the potentiality of users to win more contracts as it fulfills wide industrial requests and matches different specifications.

Moving ahead, what is your company’s future plans?

The aspiration for LCM in the next phase is in leveling up new generation hydraulic presses. Our goal from 2017 to 2020 is to materialise more concepts that would contribute to stronger performance servo mechanical presses. The existing servo mechanical tandem line has made huge process improvements in hot stamping press technology as well as in the power units. Issues, such as reducing the cycle time spent on making components and eradicating extra energy loss have already been tackled. In the future, the servo operating system will be responsible for accurate communication between machines and operators, transforming sheet metal forming industry into an intelligent and accessible industry.

Companies related to this article
Related articles